Sunday

Taking the Reins

I was 7 or 8 when Katy and I were home alone and playing outside. We noticed that one of the horses we were boarding was out of the fence and running down the road toward the busy highway. We went running after him to try and get him back into the safety of the fence. But after what felt like hours of running after him he dissappeared over a hill with my sister in full pursuit.

There was no way my tiny little legs were going to catch up to him and I was very worried that this horse was going to injure himself and others if he made it to the highway. So I did what I had been taught to do. I said a prayer. I told my Heavenly Father that I had done all I knew how to do, I told him I was scared, and I told him that I desperately needed his help.

As soon as I said Amen the horse appeared again over the hill and, as if being led by an unseen being, he casually walked not only back over the hill and into the safety of a fence but back into the pasture he belonged in. Meaning he walked through more than one gate. I knew even then in my young mind and heart that my Heavenly Father had done what I was not capable of and had heard my prayer and led that horse to safety.

Today I reflected on this experience and thought how often in my life I have had the same exact experience. "Heavenly Father I have done everything I know how to do, I am scared, and I need your help." And every single time without fail he takes the reigns and I am led back over the hill and not only into the safety of the fence but into the correct pasture.

Tonight I am grateful for parents who taught me how to pray, and for a Heavenly Father who has heard and answered every one of them.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that story at church. It really was what we needed to hear and a rescue from the other stuff that was going on!

    ReplyDelete