Saturday

Happy B-Day Mom!

I almost forgot to do a Happy Birthday Post for my BEST friend!

I've gone on and on in earlier posts about my mom and how wonderful she is. So my birthday ode to mom will be about something I have learned recently.

My mom loved horses, and restoring cars, and John Wayne movies. I wanted nothing more growing up, than to be what she wanted me to be. I assumed that what she wanted me to be was someone that encompassed all the things she loved. What I have come to realize is that her kids were the things she loved the most and she wanted us to be US.

Forever I tried to like what she liked. When I wanted to watch My Fair Lady instead of  practicing barrels I was sure she was disappointed in me. I loved my horse, I did. But I loved other things too. What I didn't realize until later was that she was trying just as hard to like and be interested in the things I was interested in.

I now have my own taste, style, likes, loves, and dislikes. But I know that is okay because my mom taught me that who I am is exactly who she loves. I have the ability to be the nomad I am, to take risks, to develop into me because my parents, that's right both of them, have given me a safe place to land, unconditional love and support. I will be forever grateful for parents who gave me the freedom to be just like them... with a twist!

No comments:

Post a Comment