Sunday

Understanding the male mind II

So as I said earlier My friend Colin and I had a little catch up session this morning. During this conversation he listed off all the perks of being married. He however, forgot the one I am looking forward to the most... No more dating.

Let's see here. There is a guy I went out with maybe three times. He is super nice, and funny and we always have a good time. Anyway he moved away and he texts me probably three times a day with some version of "what's up?" or "How are you?" or something like this. I always text back and tell him what is up or how I am. Or I use to because he has never once responded to those texts. His response is simply a new "what's up?" text a few hours later. How do you respond to that? So I stopped trying to.

Then there is a guy who has hinted around at asking me out for awhile now. The sad thing is I think it would probably be a good match, but there is no follow through, thus making me wonder how serious he was about it in the first place. I find myself making up all kinds of reasons in my head for why he doesn't follow through.

I don't want to go into too much detail about my dating life here because well something has to still be private. Let's just say that boys may think we are confusing but I find them just as hard to understand. What I would love is if a guy who was interested just told me he was. Then I could say some version of one of the following:

*I am totally flattered but I think we are good enough friends to know that an "us" wouldn't be the best option for either of us.

*Really? Let's see if we can find more time to spend together so we can give this a shot.

*Me too! What should we do about that?

*About time! I was starting to think my green light had burned out.

I just think it would be so much easier. The communication styles of men and women are just so different. I think honesty is the best policy. If a guy just said hey I am interested I could just say that i was or wasn't and we could get on with life. I can't wait to be done with dating.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that guy who constantly poses the timeless question "what's up?" probably has some communications issues. That's just plain weird.

    The other guy who won't just man up and ask you out might be intimidated. Since you have a strong personality, he might be thinking that if he simply hints at a date then you'll kind of take it from there. Maybe if you just say "pick me up on Friday at 8:00" then that's all the help he needs. Let him be a guy (for the most part, seeing how he isn't actually asking you out directly) and let him work out the details. You'd just have to be sure that your help effort is a one-time occurrence, not a potential long-term habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except I tend to think to myself "hmm they must not have been all that interested." Then I get over it and move on and hope someday someone will be interested enough to ask AND follow through.

    ReplyDelete