Sunday

Why I am single.

It has been brought to my attention by more than one person that I am getting a little old on the LDS and single scale. Yes this I know, but thanks for the heads up.

I have also had more than one person give me advice on this subject.

Grandma: (While pinching me) Boys don't like all this extra stuff, it's time to lose weight.
Matt Schultz: Maybe if you didn't tell boys your ACTUAL weight...
Katy: I think it is because you are obnoxious.
Dad: Maybe you should try being less "rowdy" Let him see that side of you later, when he's aloud to be excited by it.
Boy in the 4th ward: (1 Week after mom died) Any man you were already married to would have no problem being there for you during hard times, but no guy wants to go into a relationship now that you have all this baggage.
Boy in the 59th ward: It's hard when you Dad is so successful. A guy can't compete with that.

So real quick let's discuss these theories. Grandma and Matt, I like the way I look and that is who is important right? Katy, Whatever! Dad, I can't hide it I can only try to contain it. 4th ward boy, What the? I can't imagine someone having less baggage after dealing with that. If anything I have learned a ton, grown in the gospel, and become a much stronger person by it. A person who will never let a day go by without those she loves know it. 59th ward boy, WHAT?! Have you met my Dad? Have you been to my home? Do you know where my Dad comes from? I could care less what you make. Plus the poorer you are the skinner I may become. HAHA

But let me make a confession here. There are 5, no wait 6, boys who have wanted to marry me. Literally would have bought the ring and set the date if I'd have given the word. (I only kissed one of them, don't judge me.)

So why am I single? Because I haven't said yes yet! So why haven't I said yes yet? Because once you have had a taste of the good life you don't go back. What do I mean by that? My babies deserve a father at least half as good as the one I have.

Dad tucked us in at night and told us stories, he played airplane, and crocodile. He gathers us together for family scripture and prayer. He helped us make pancakes on saturday morning while we watched ninja turtles, and he actually watched with us. He took us on walks and just let us tell him all about our little world. We had a chair we would always sit in together that fell apart as I grew. He glued it back together so mom wouldn't be mad. I want my babies to love their daddy too. I need him to be someone they look up to, someone who knows all the words to Book Of Mormon Stories and doesn't mind if they always want to sing it in the dinosaur voice. Someone they are waiting at the door for when he gets home.

I try not to be one of those girls. And to a degree I am not, I don't care what he does for a living, I don't care where we live or what temple we get married in. I don't have the names of my kids picked out and I don't care what gender they are. The details just don't matter. But if there is one thing I can do for them it is to find them a dad that will help them to achieve their potential in a world that will be even more scary than the one we are living in today. How scary would it be to bring them down here without that?

5 comments:

  1. For reals!! I haven't found a boy good enough yet to match our daddy! They really just don't exist much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I only made that comment because I had heard you bring it up several times in the previous week or so and I just thought I'd let you know that it doesn't really help, that's all. I hope you're not upset about it.

    You make a lot of good points and I think you have a good perspective on the whole dating thing in general. I do feel bad about the comments those other boys made. That's just not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Sista, hold out for the good ones with me! (there had got to be at least two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls...Girls...Girls...Marriage happens when you fall in love with your best friend. Daren says this: Love is friendship caught fire! He's so right!

    And remember I was 28 when I got married. I still have had time to have four babes and a job and much, much more! ENJOY the MOMENT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just have to tell you that I think you're really funny. (And I enjoyed the post about your mom. Especially how you didn't talk about her in past tense. :))

    I'm also flattered that you put my humble little food blog on your list. Wow.

    Next time you see my fabulous cuz, Sarah, give her a slap (lovingly) on the behind for me will you? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete