Tuesday

The Desperately Desperate and Lonely Hearts Club

I am mean, I know it. If that bothers you, probably don't read the rest of this post. I will be ranting again about dating and such.

I went with a couple of friends to an over 25 single adult institute class. For those of you not familiar with the LDS lingo, institute is a scripture study program for the college age young adult. I attended while at Utah State and I learned so much about the gospel and myself. We had amazing teachers and fellow students who created an environment of learning. I learned so much, and I couldn't get enough of it. Some semesters I had 3 institute classes.

Last night I had enough after 20 minutes.

It started with a guy on the front row who replied to the teachers query about the date with, "I know today is the 11th because tomorrow is the 12th and I have a date! I haven't been on a date since 1999!" Oh goodness, we were in for a long night. We spent the first 35 or more minutes discussing how a prophet is called. Don't get me wrong, that is important to know, but isn't there maybe a primary song or something that illustrates that? I was frustrated that in a class specifically designed for those of us who are older, the curriculum hadn't been altered to reflect that. I could have easily been in a seminary class. (Seminary = same thing for high schoolers) My roommate passed me a note that said "milk before meat but we don't need formula." I laughed, the teacher glared.

Now I agree that men should be interested in a girl with a mind. Someone who understand the gospel and enjoys learning, and can teach it to your children. But ladies, just because you sit up front and answer EVERY SINGLE  question the teacher asks before he even finishes asking it, does not make you any more attractive. Especially rhetorical ones.

We were discussing the parable of the labors in the vineyard. We were bracing ourselves for someone to make this lesson about dating and we were not disappointed. "I just feel like some of us are the laborers who are at the last hour and haven't been picked, you know in dating. I just think it is so important that we realize that we won't find a man until we don't want one." I was cringing, she was crying. In my opinion there is no truth to that. You are never going to find something you aren't looking for. Just don't be desperate. It can't be all you want, or all you plan for. You can't live a life of anticipation for only one thing and deny yourself true happiness until it is gained. And you have to put your hand down and stop telling every boy in the room, (there were perhaps 6 of them and none of them seemed to be 25 quite yet), that you are desperately desperate.

Oh and all you other ladies who added your tearful comments about how sad you are that you don't date.
PUT YOUR HAND DOWN. 

Seriously it is hurting me.

Who attends an institute class where you feel like you learn something, and or feel strengthened in your testimony as you leave at the end of class? Please take me with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment