Tuesday

Safety

I use to leave Zac a love note a day... in his car, his office, his locker... wherever. When I no longer lived close enough to do that for him I made him the best Christmas present ever. I made him a book with a page for each month of the year and each one had a pocket with 4 love notes in it. So he had a love note a week for a year. On the opposite page I put something unique to us like the hospital bracelet from when he forced me to go to the hospital. Or a page that said love means never asking you to play candy land (long story). On one page I put this poem by George Elliot:

Oh the comfort of feeling safe
with a person;
having neither to weigh thoughts,
nor measure words,
but to pour them all out
just as chaff and grain together,
knowing that a faithful hand
will take and sift them,
keeping what is worth keeping
and with a breath of kindness,
blow the rest away.

I found this poem in my grandma's things along time ago. It was the copy I have in her hand writing that I placed in the book. Because, Zac, this is how I feel about you. I can say ANYTHING I am feeling and you take it and sift it and are left with only the best part of me. Which is the part you deserve. 

The thing I love the absolute best about men is that I feel safe with them. So if I were to make a list of the things that make a friend a BEST friend the first quality listed would not be that they make me laugh. It would be that I trust them with my heart. Thanks for putting up with crazy Reese this week. I love you 18, forever, 5 a lot, and all the days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment