Friday

Safety First

There are many nights that I walk home very late. I often reflect on my walk and or ride home about how great it is to live in a place where I can walk safely home after midnight, a white girl, alone. Please any suspicious creepers on my blog, do not decide to follow me home. Ahh!! Okay but anyway Yesterday I went to the local farmers market with these lovely ladies.
In the picture you will notice that Taryn is holding one of my zucchini and the little bouquet of flowers that a random stranger gave to me. I was very excited about my 50 cent zucchini and can't wait to grill them. Leah and I made the best grilled zucchini ever the other night. I dream about it, seriously. So anyway...

Much later that evening after a heated game of Mario Kart I headed home. I was walking with my jumbo purse over my shoulder, a jumbo zucchini under each arm, my little tender bouquet of flowers, and a half eaten bag of kettle corn. On my way home I have to cross a very busy street. Normally it isn't a problem because I walk up the busy street for a block or so and just jaywalk when there are no vehicles. Last night I went a different way and had to cross the busy street at the intersection. I could see vehicles in the distance but they were all moving slow and all three or 4 blocks away so I started to cross the street.

Once I started across the street one of the cars sped up. I remember thinking 'what the craziness is that person doing? Why is he speeding up? And then... That car is going to hit me!' So I stopped and took a few steps back to try to make it into the "suicide lane" before he hit me. My next thought was 'That is a police car that just hit me.' But it wasn't anything serious. It was just his car brushing past my body. Still it was the scariest moment of my life. Then he pulled over and turned his lights on.

That is when I thought... 'Oh Crap and now he is going to give me a ticket for jaywalking!' So I made a dash for it with a zucchini under each arm, exactly like Taryn is demonstrating in the picture. Then I thought 'No Annie be cool.' So I stopped running and just walked as fast as I could up my street with my head down pretending like nothing had happened hoping he wouldn't turn around and come down my street after me.

He didn't. So I went home and wide awake as I was, heart RACING, I made the best chicken enchiladas you have ever tasted! It is okay to laugh. Seriously. Picture me running down the street with my zucchinis like I stole them, and laugh. And then be happy I am alive. And then know that I am mad that only one person read my facebook status and asked if I was okay. Seriously! More people should have been concerned! You like me! Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment