I was at work early on Black Friday because while I have an office job I still work for a retail company and they needed all the help they could get. Well anyway half way through the morning one of my co-workers points out that my right arm is turning blue. I think oh wow they are right but I ignore it like I tend to do all semi serious health problems. It happened once before and it went away after a few hours.

Well a few hours go buy and my arm become so swollen that I can't really move it. I am still ignoring it but my boss sees it and freaks out and sends me home to go to the doctor. I see this as a great opportunity to have the day off and play with my family who are in town. Halfway home though I realize I am now loosing feeling in my arm. So I stop at the doctor's. They sent me straight to the hospital where they do an ultrasound on my arm. They don't find anything, but the hospital doctor tells me to take about a zillion doses of aspirin over the next week and one a day after that indefinably.

No one calls me for days then my doctor calls me and tells me that they need to do some more tests to find out what caused the clot I had and why my arm is turning blue as the clot was in an artery and my arm turning blue means there is a blockage in the vein.

Is it just me or should one of the 5 doctors who saw me that Friday been able to figure out that blue and swelling meant that the blood wasn't leaving my arm and maybe they should check the veins THEN. Oh and maybe someone could have told me I had a clot so I would have actually taken the aspirin prescribed me!

Ok so long story short. I have had two more ultrasounds and an echo cardiogram. All came back totally fine. I asked the doctor if he could pretend he didn't see my arm turn blue and could I just go home. He didn't laugh. I told him if I woke up from surgery a little skinnier in some areas and a little larger in others I would not be sad. Then he laughed and turned me over to a cardiologist for more tests.

Needless to say, I am not having anymore tests done, and I'm never going back to the hospital. So I am slowly turning into smurfette, big deal, and if I have a heart attack I'll spend Christmas with Mom instead of Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment