Sunday

Valentine's Day

Why do single women hate Valentine's day so much? This is something I don't understand. Why do we call it singles awareness day and sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. The day isn't only about romantic love. C.S. Lewis teaches us us that there are four kinds of love:

Affection: Fondness through familiarity.
Friendship: A bond between two people sharing a common interest or activity.
Eros: Romantic Love.
Carita: Unconditional Love.

Ok I have a little confession here. I haven't kissed a boy in three years. That's right, three years. It is also coming up on my one year mark for my last date. But I'm not throwing myself a pity party. I'm not wandering around gong I'm too fat, or I'm not funny enough, or I have too much adult acne. When the right guy comes around he will recognize me. In the mean time I will do my best to improve myself so I'll be easier to recognize when that time comes.

Anyway back to the point...

Why do we spend the day wallowing in what we don't have? If we think about it I'm sure we can come up with so many other ways our lives are blessed with love. Again refer to brother Lewis, the man knows his stuff. Call your mom, I wish I could. Call a few friends you haven't talked to in awhile. Leave an anonymous naughty love note on some hottie's car. Send flowers to that girl in the office you know will have a rough day. You don't see boys running around eating a half gallon of ice cream, burning photos of ex's, and playing their Heman Woman Hater's Club playlist. Let's, for once, take a page from their book.

Last year I went out for sushi with two really good friends. This year I have the day off. I have no plans. I'll probably sleep in, then take a super long bath with tons and tons of bubbles. Then I'll probably make waffles with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. I'll watch the American Idol I Tivoed the night before. Then I'll wrap myself up in a super fluffy just from the dryer blanket with a great book. I'll probably call Kristen, I think her husband is still in the middle east. I'll have to call my BFF Zac and tell him I love him 18. Later that night I'll head off to institute, if I feel bad at all I'll take heart in looking around the room and seeing that it is as full as normal. Maybe I'll go to Bro. Belnap's class because I have a little crush on him. Who knows.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I loved that! I really enjoyed that thing about the 4 types of love.

    ReplyDelete